DCSD BOARD MEETINGS 4/01/2013 (04/01/2013) 
2:15
Moderator: 
One of the board members just asked what are QBE earnings
Monday April 1, 2013 2:15 Moderator
2:16
[Comment From nancy_jesternancy_jester: ] 
Oh my... a board member just asked what "QBE" earning are!
Monday April 1, 2013 2:16 nancy_jester
2:17
[Comment From DeKalbInsideOutDeKalbInsideOut: ] 
Who doesn't know what QBE is? This doesn't bode well. Education 101 ... QBE.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:17 DeKalbInsideOut
2:27
[Comment From dcsw2dcsw2: ] 
If the budget could be current as of March 29, then why not have the HR report current as of March 29?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:27 dcsw2
2:29
Moderator: 
I was talking to a teacher this morning. Teacher contracts are very confusing. Last year they were annualized for the year. They are shown hourly wages now.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:29 Moderator
2:31
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Are they being paid hourly? That's not right.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:31 DeKalbInsideOut
2:31
dcsw2: 
Typical! Perrone and Smith both iunprepared. Then when asked for this information that they should have but never do have, they act like, "Oh, sure, no problem." They will not have the information next time, either.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:31 dcsw2
2:33
Moderator: 
The teacher contracts are just shown hourly wages, instead of annual wages, to show how much they are making. They are not getting paid hourly overtime wages ... hence the confusion.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:33 Moderator
2:34
dcsw2: 
6500 contracts? So, we have more than 2 non-teaching personnel per teacher? DeKalb County School System's mission is to teach children. How can that be done effectively -- how can students be taught -- when we have so few teachers as a percentage of the total payroll?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:34 dcsw2
2:36
dcsw2: 
"Stay committed to the cause?" Is Smith kidding? What cause is that? The cause of stuffing the pockets of the Friends-and-Family?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:36 dcsw2
2:36
DeKalbInsideOut: 
DSW, who did the teacher/administrator ratio analysis where dekalb had more administrators to teacher than anybody around?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:36 DeKalbInsideOut
2:36
dcsw2: 
That analysis may be in our Archives.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:36 dcsw2
2:38
Moderator: 
Coleman is asking for a comparison of last year's HR data to this year's data.
Orson is asking for a comparison of other districts HR data to DeKalb's HR data.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:38 Moderator
2:40
Nancy Jester: 
Wow! Glad to see Dr. Howe give the facts that calendars don't correlate to different (better) student outcomes.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:40 Nancy Jester
2:40
dcsw2: 
As we are watching Perrone, Smith and now, Howe, we are wondering why all of these people are not already fired? Where was Howe as she was helped to push the "Balanced Calendar"? Howe is completely 2-faced.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:40 dcsw2
2:40
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
Do paras, custodians, etc get contracts?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:40 Anonymous
2:41
Nancy Jester: 
I made that statement last year but the former Superintendent insisted that a "balanced" calendar would translate into better achievement results.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:41 Nancy Jester
2:41
dcsw2: 
And, Howe never stepped up to say what she is saying now.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:41 dcsw2
2:41
Nancy Jester: 
It was also frustrating that the administration ignored the survey results.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:41 Nancy Jester
2:42
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Perhaps it's kind of like teachers stepping up and saying you're being forced to cheat. You end up on the street.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:42 DeKalbInsideOut
2:42
Nancy Jester: 
Well, her boss probably gave the order to say nothing about the calendar.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:42 Nancy Jester
2:42
dcsw2: 
That would explain the reason for the huge drop in participation in the calendar surveys. It would be nice is Howe could stop using edutalk words like, "authentic."
Monday April 1, 2013 2:42 dcsw2
2:43
dcsw2: 
So, Howe is admitting that she was unable to run a simple survey without mistakes.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:43 dcsw2
2:44
Moderator: 
Custodians are through a 3rd party firm now I believe. I'm not sure about paras.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:44 Moderator
2:45
Nancy Jester: 
Moderator, I don't think custodians are 3rd party. I think that some schools have that but the majority are still district employees.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:45 Nancy Jester
2:49
DeKalbInsideOut: 
I've noticed the board doesn't have an opinion on the balanced calendar ... assuming they know what one is.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:49 DeKalbInsideOut
2:49
dcsw2: 
Childcare concerns. We are sure that Orson and McMahan can relate to that. That's why, we believe, both have pushed (in Howe's edutalk) an "expedited timeframe" for BOE meetings. Said "expedited timeframe" conveniently cuts "stakeholders" out of any reasonable and realistic involvement in BOE meetings. But, it certainly makes life easier for McMahan and Orson who have left BOE meetings early because they apparently are so unfamiliar with the way working mothers arrange for childcare.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:49 dcsw2
2:49
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Ms Jester, do you have an opinion of the balanced calendar?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:49 DeKalbInsideOut
2:50
[Comment From nancy_jesternancy_jester: ] 
Yes. It was clear to me that (1) the community didn't want it and (2) it doesn't result in better student achievement.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:50 nancy_jester
2:52
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
I intensely dislike the balanced calendar, but the reality is that the calendar, whatever it looks like, it doesn't really matter what it looks like if your goal is to improve student achievement. Howe has been a puppet so far, she moved her for this job, left a job for it, and then ended up working for a dictator and her sidekick.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:52 Anonymous
2:53
[Comment From SMKeefeSMKeefe: ] 
To me, the calendar issue was another slap in the face of us parents. Why have the survey when it was clear that a decision had already been made to force the balanced calendar on us?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:53 SMKeefe
2:54
Nancy Jester: 
I'm going to sign off for a bit. I have to go to my daughter's track awards. I'll be back later. I look forward to reading your comments when I get back. Thanks and keep blogging! --Nancy
Monday April 1, 2013 2:54 Nancy Jester
2:55
dcsw2: 
Thanks for this live blog, Nancy! It is hugely informative and helpful!
Monday April 1, 2013 2:55 dcsw2
2:55
dcsw2: 
We will be right here when you get back.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:55 dcsw2
2:58
Moderator: 
Nancy just left to pick her daughter up from track. She'll be right back. BTW, Thanks for EVERYTHING you do DSW. Our community is as informed as it is because of you.
Monday April 1, 2013 2:58 Moderator
2:58
dcsw2: 
Howe finished her doctorate (not sure if it is a ph.d. or ed.d; not sure if it is real or just bought-and-paid-for from a diploma mill) after she took the job with DCSS. We wonder if DCSS paid for her doctorate? Does anyone know?
Monday April 1, 2013 2:58 dcsw2
3:00
Moderator: 
Coleman quote "My rudimentary understanding of balanced calendar" and goes on to ask the administration to provide research for him.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:00 Moderator
3:02
dcsw2: 
Also, wasn't it really interesting that when asked for specifics (budget detail) regarding DCSS BOE travel budgets, Perrone was completely ignorant? The best he could offer was that he could make whatever is listed under budget detail match up with the actual budget. Perrone is soooo unqualified. Anyone would know that actual detail is listed in the "detail" portion of the budget.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:02 dcsw2
3:04
dcsw2: 
Has Coleman never heard of Google or Bing? Perhaps he needs to be sent the URLs for Google and Bing.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:04 dcsw2
3:05
DeKalbInsideOut: 
The entire board should ask Mr Googleheimer about QBE, Balanced Calendar, etc...
Monday April 1, 2013 3:05 DeKalbInsideOut
3:07
dcsw2: 
Hey, Memorandum of Understanding is an MOU, NOT an MOE.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:07 dcsw2
3:09
dcsw2: 
Is Globe Academy being charged for the lease of The Heritage Center? How much? Why?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:09 dcsw2
3:12
dcsw2: 
Wait for it ... Brantley is completely unprepared -- AGAIN! He has been told to get information on customer satisfaction, but he has ignored that directive.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:12 dcsw2
3:15
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
They aren't being charged for Heritage. The lease says no rental charge.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:15 Anonymous
3:15
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
David Campbell is asking good questions
Monday April 1, 2013 3:15 Anonymous
3:18
[Comment From the mom2the mom2: ] 
Wow asking to table something because staff isn't prepared. Good for this Board
Monday April 1, 2013 3:18 the mom2
3:19
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
is this being webcast?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:19 Anonymous
3:20
Moderator: 
Yes. http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/pds-tv24
Monday April 1, 2013 3:20 Moderator
3:21
dcsw2: 
"That's a good question." "I can provide you with that information." "It's a rubric." "It's complicated." "Hopefully I am [NOT] answering your question." "We plan to have that [whatever] data before [whatever]. "I don't know [whatever]." I think we need to create a Vocabulary List for the BOE and senior administrators.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:21 dcsw2
3:21
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
thank you.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:21 Anonymous
3:22
dcsw2: 
Did you notice, though, that Johnson was still trying to keep the item on the "Consent Agenda"?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:22 dcsw2
3:23
DeKalbInsideOut: 
If the administration doesn't voluntarily remove the item, doesn't the board have to motion and vote to table it?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:23 DeKalbInsideOut
3:24
dcsw2: 
Good question, DIO!
Monday April 1, 2013 3:24 dcsw2
3:26
Moderator: 
If you just joined us, Nancy is picking her daughter up from track and should be back shortly.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:26 Moderator
3:26
dcsw2: 
"This contract we have signed is not something they can hold us to ..." Famous last words -- every attorney in Metro DeKalb is counting on hearing those words.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:26 dcsw2
3:28
dcsw2: 
Gosh, we hope this meeting is not too boring for Smith and Howe. It would be interesting to see what is so compelling on their computers.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:28 dcsw2
3:33
Moderator: 
Coleman asked some legal questions regarding the annual fiber maintenance renewal. Allegra, very sharp attorney from Sutherland, is going to look into it. This item has been tabled.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:33 Moderator
3:37
dcsw2: 
A pre-qualified vendor? Who is on that list?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:37 dcsw2
3:38
dcsw2: 
Then why not present the list of those vendors and their qualifications?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:38 dcsw2
3:44
dcsw2: 
Bible study camps?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:44 dcsw2
3:46
Moderator: 
Mr Thurmond is presenting the "Nepotism" policy amendment to Policy GAG.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:46 Moderator
3:46
Nancy Jester: 
Hello Everyone! I'm back from picking up my daughter. She is happy that I got to go to her awards program rather than be at the meeting.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:46 Nancy Jester
3:46
DeKalbInsideOut: 
https://eboard.eboardsolutions.com/Meetings/ViewMeetingOrder.aspx?S=4054&MID=30215
Monday April 1, 2013 3:46 DeKalbInsideOut
3:47
DeKalbInsideOut: 
There is a redline version of this change. I see where they talk about family, but how do you address friends?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:47 DeKalbInsideOut
3:48
Nancy Jester: 
Friends are the largest problem. The district has many "friends" that are not competent.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:48 Nancy Jester
3:49
dcsw2: 
We believe employment is also based on race.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:49 dcsw2
3:50
Nancy Jester: 
@dsw2 - it appears that way
Monday April 1, 2013 3:50 Nancy Jester
3:51
Moderator: 
How does the district enforce "The District intends, to the extent practicable, to make all hiring and promotion decisions based solely on individual qualifications and merit."
Monday April 1, 2013 3:51 Moderator
3:51
dcsw2: 
Then, based on what Smith is saying, there is no real change except for wording -- very vague and non-specific wording.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:51 dcsw2
3:51
[Comment From DekalbTeachersWifeDekalbTeachersWife: ] 
I would really like to know what is going on at the meeting as I can't watch video from this PC. I feel like this is more of a commentary than a coverage. Can we get more coverage of exactly what is happening please?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:51 DekalbTeachersWife
3:51
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
I"m surprised at how blunt he was.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:51 Anonymous
3:52
Moderator: 
Coverage ... will do
Monday April 1, 2013 3:52 Moderator
3:53
Moderator: 
Tekshia is currently presenting "Board Policy GAG, Staff Conflict of Interest". Thurmond said he received a lot of feedback regarding "Friends and Family" at DCSD.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:53 Moderator
3:54
dcsw2: 
@ DeKalbTeachersWife: Just to be clear -- you have access to the Internet, but you are unable to connect to: https://eboard.eboardsolutions.com/Meetings/ViewMeetingOrder.aspx?S=4054&MID=30215
Monday April 1, 2013 3:54 dcsw2
3:56
dcsw2: 
We believe that using closed captioning would make these BOE meetings during the workday at lot more accessible to those who are trying to quietly watch from their workstation.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:56 dcsw2
3:57
[Comment From DekalbTeachersWifeDekalbTeachersWife: ] 
As in, what happened with the calendar? What agenda item are they on now?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:57 DekalbTeachersWife
3:57
[Comment From DekalbTeachersWifeDekalbTeachersWife: ] 
Thanks! That is helpful!
Monday April 1, 2013 3:57 DekalbTeachersWife
3:57
[Comment From DekalbTeachersWifeDekalbTeachersWife: ] 
No, I can see the agenda, just wasn't sure where they were on it. I just can't connect to any video coverage. Your 3:53 post was exactly what I needed and I appreciate it!
Monday April 1, 2013 3:57 DekalbTeachersWife
3:57
dcsw2: 
Oh, geez. Ramsey. Very risky to call a hotline that Ramsey has any kind of access to or control over.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:57 dcsw2
3:57
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
She proposed they will begin in May collecting from 'leadership' employees (principals, administration and up) the names of relatives who are DCSS employees. Later to collect this for all employees.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:57 Anonymous
3:57
Moderator: 
Ward is insisting that HR is aggressively ensuring that all hires will be merit based. Interview scripts, Dos and Don'ts, training.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:57 Moderator
3:58
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Ms Jester, how will these changes affect the "Friends and Family" program?
Monday April 1, 2013 3:58 DeKalbInsideOut
3:59
dcsw2: 
Yes -- but DCSS is filled with unqualified people. HOW does Thurmond specifically DEFINE qualifications? We believe this is just another effort to protect the Friends-and-Family system.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:59 dcsw2
3:59
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Hiring relatives or friends is nepotism ... according to Mr Googleheimer.
Monday April 1, 2013 3:59 DeKalbInsideOut
4:02
Moderator: 
Adjourning to Cimmittee of the Whole in 5 minutes to discuss "Board Norms".
Monday April 1, 2013 4:02 Moderator
4:02
Nancy Jester: 
@DIO, I don't see how this will do anything to address the Friends and Family situation. The proof will be in the hiring that we see going forward. A large part of the problem is that schools cannot select the employees that work in their building. They are sent from the central office.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:02 Nancy Jester
4:03
Moderator: 
Nancy got a hold of some of the board norms to be presented either today or in the future. Please take a minute to look them over. #4 and #5 are disturbing.
http://whatsupwiththat.nancyjester.com/2013/03/31/400/
Monday April 1, 2013 4:03 Moderator
4:05
Moderator: 
Board Norms
4. Directing all stakeholders’ questions, input and discussion directly to the superintendent, providing the superintendent and fellow board members with proactive notice of issues or concerns.
5. Using board meetings to discuss board issues, current or upcoming, with the community, not email, social media, other channels.

Monday April 1, 2013 4:05 Moderator
4:05
Nancy Jester: 
I'm still disturbed that someone didn't know what QBE was. One couldn't get elected to school board without knowing this. QBE maximization is a huge problem for the district. We leave too much money on the table with the state because the administration doesn't know how to maximize their state QBE info/counts.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:05 Nancy Jester
4:06
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Can they tell the board not to communicate???
Monday April 1, 2013 4:06 DeKalbInsideOut
4:09
[Comment From Gil HearnGil Hearn: ] 
I didn't catch the earlier parts. Was the GLOBE lease tabled? If so, what info was lacking?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:09 Gil Hearn
4:11
Nancy Jester: 
@DIO - There are people who believe they can force the board not to communicate. They will threaten the members with ethics violations for speaking their mind. Some board members will use it against other board members if they say things they don't like. If bureaucrats can silence the people the citizens elect to oversee the entity, we are in sad shape. Unfortunately, that's the framework that has been developed in our state.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:11 Nancy Jester
4:12
Nancy Jester: 
@Gil - I was not online for that part of the meeting. Can anyone else report what happened with GLOBE?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:12 Nancy Jester
4:13
Moderator: 
Sorry, I'll try and make more usefull comments and take better notes Embarassed
Monday April 1, 2013 4:13 Moderator
4:13
Nancy Jester: 
That's it Moderator! I'm going to put that in your evaluation! ;-)
Monday April 1, 2013 4:13 Nancy Jester
4:14
Moderator: 
You can dock my salary Laughing
Monday April 1, 2013 4:14 Moderator
4:16
Moderator: 
The board is settling in for the Committee of the Whole to discuss Board Norms. You can view the live streaming video feed here
http://www.ecstreams.com/DekalbSchools/DekalbSchoolsLive.asx
Monday April 1, 2013 4:16 Moderator
4:18
Moderator: 
Dr Morley will be presenting. There is no online documentation.
"We have norms for children, we should have norms for boards". She and Dr Carter looked at themselves and various systems. We need to be active in a measurable manner.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:18 Moderator
4:22
Moderator: 
Board norms say how the board "Behaves and interacts". Governs the behavior of the board.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:22 Moderator
4:23
dcsw2: 
@ Gil -- the "lease" for Globe Academy was approved. I asked if there was a cost associated with this lease and one participant in this live blog said there was no charge for the lease. Do you know if that is true. There was no indication in the presentation.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:23 dcsw2
4:23
Moderator: 
Developed to maintain order and organization of the board. How we speak to each other and interact with each other, DCSD parents and employees.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:23 Moderator
4:24
[Comment From the mom2the mom2: ] 
Glove wasn't tabled
Monday April 1, 2013 4:24 the mom2
4:24
dcsw2: 
Why were we not provided with whatever PowerPoint presentation Morley is using?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:24 dcsw2
4:26
dcsw2: 
I wonder why there is no wireless clip-on microphone available for Morley to use?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:26 dcsw2
4:26
[Comment From BillBill: ] 
Wow, she uses a lot of words. She would be more effective if she was more succinct. Listening to her makes me tired, I have to sort through so much BS to find 'the point'.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:26 Bill
4:26
Nancy Jester: 
@dcw2 - Probably because they didn't want you to see it in advance.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:26 Nancy Jester
4:27
dcsw2: 
When Morley said that DCSS would become the #1 school system in the world I knew she was full of it.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:27 dcsw2
4:27
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Why weren't we given the board norms if they were handing them out a month ago?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:27 DeKalbInsideOut
4:27
Moderator: 
Purpose
Setting up the connectivity of the board. Based with stakeholders in mind ... employees, parents, children. Saying the same thing in about 10 different ways.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:27 Moderator
4:27
dcsw2: 
I think, but I could be wrong, that we published those somewhere on DeKalb School Watch.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:27 dcsw2
4:29
Moderator: 
Board Norms are based on what is working and the culture of the board. Black/white, rich/poor.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:29 Moderator
4:29
Nancy Jester: 
I would like to propose some board norms like: don't develop bogus budgets and stop building schools where you only need 40% of capacity while ignoring schools that will be at 150% of capacity.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:29 Nancy Jester
4:30
DeKalbInsideOut: 
How many schools at 40% capacity are getting new schools?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:30 DeKalbInsideOut
4:30
Nancy Jester: 
There are 3 elementary schools being built in a zone that already has excess capacity.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:30 Nancy Jester
4:32
[Comment From Gil HearnGil Hearn: ] 
@dcsw2: Correct. No charge. OCGA 20-2-2068.2 (h) "A local charter school may not be charged a rental or leasing fee for the existing facility or for property normally used by the public school which became the local charter school."
Monday April 1, 2013 4:32 Gil Hearn
4:34
DeKalbInsideOut: 
We are united in our position ... she just said that.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:34 DeKalbInsideOut
4:35
[Comment From BillBill: ] 
Is it reasonable to expect Globe Academy to be on the DCSS webpage where Charter Schools are listed? http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/charter-schools I called 2 weeks ago and Lilian Govis said they would.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:35 Bill
4:35
[Comment From the mom2the mom2: ] 
Edler got elected knowing nothing. She hadn't even attended a PTA meeting, let alone a board meeting before deciding to run.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:35 the mom2
4:36
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Edler, SCW and Cunningham know what QBE is.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:36 DeKalbInsideOut
4:37
[Comment From the mom2the mom2: ] 
Globe doesn't officially start business until July, so I am not sure it is reasonable to expect them to be listed.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:37 the mom2
4:38
Moderator: 
Suggested Board Norms
Respect opinions of each other, of other employees.
Communicate nicely with each other (seriously)
We need to be united in our positions
We must practice active listening
Be aware of verbal and non verbal behavior
Be accountable for yourself
Monday April 1, 2013 4:38 Moderator
4:38
[Comment From BillBill: ] 
Does 'effective communication' on my part mean I must listen patiently and 'exhibit respect for one another' when she is redundant and saying a lot of 'we are united in our position' (low value verbiage)?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:38 Bill
4:38
dcsw2: 
Yes, I was hoping the BOE was following the law. But, it simply brings to the forefront the ridiculous fact that DCSS is paying more than $125,000 per year to New Birth Missionary Baptist church for charter school space when DCSS has many usable vacant facilities. This was put together by Melvin Johnson, current DCSS BOE chair, who is an elder in the church.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:38 dcsw2
4:39
Nancy Jester: 
@mom2 - How well do we think that worked? @DIO, They may have known QBE but they probably didn't have a deep understanding of it. That is hurting our district.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:39 Nancy Jester
4:40
dcsw2: 
When does Globe begin recruiting students?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:40 dcsw2
4:41
Nancy Jester: 
@dsw2 - I believe they already have.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:41 Nancy Jester
4:42
Moderator: 
Engage in interpersonal learning and cultural building.
Our board is cohesive and we support each other.
When somebody asks you for help, you should respond with "How can I help you?"
To the Superintendent and Staff.
Respect each other's time.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:42 Moderator
4:42
dcsw2: 
Okay. If Globe is already recruiting students then they definitely should be listed on the DCSS website. That's not too much to ask or expect.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:42 dcsw2
4:43
dcsw2: 
Okay. So, she is full of it,too! Best school system in the state, best in the nation, best in the world.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:43 dcsw2
4:43
Moderator: 
This is all new to the board. We need time to provide the best assistance. We need to be collaborative. We are going to address SACS. The end in mind is "The best school system in the state, country, the world."
Monday April 1, 2013 4:43 Moderator
4:44
[Comment From BillBill: ] 
Globe had 'pre-registration', 'intent to enroll', 'until Feb 26' on their website, now 'until March 30'. http://www.theglobeacademy.org/ It seems to me, as they are NOW enrolling students, they need their name and link on the DCSS webpage NOW, so potential students parents can find them. Does DCSS want Globe to be successful? This is a small way to help.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:44 Bill
4:45
[Comment From GilGil: ] 
GLOBE is listed on the school choice page, but not on other lists I've seen. http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/school-choice
Monday April 1, 2013 4:45 Gil
4:45
Moderator: 
Carter: We have authority. So what. The question is do we have the respect. In the interest of time. Take a look at this power point presentation and jott down some ideas.

Morley: We need to do what it takes to move the system forward.

[clapping]
Monday April 1, 2013 4:45 Moderator
4:46
[Comment From GilGil: ] 
@Bill I expect that GLOBE is full now. Third grade was the only grade that didn't go to lottery with a few spots remaining.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:46 Gil
4:47
dcsw2: 
Our experience with DCSS is that Globe is a charter school, therefore DCSS sees Globe as a threat and, so, no, DCSS is not all that interested in seeing Globe be successful.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:47 dcsw2
4:47
[Comment From the mom2the mom2: ] 
way too long
Monday April 1, 2013 4:47 the mom2
4:48
dcsw2: 
Well, it is hard to run through an entire book of trite sayings without going long.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:48 dcsw2
4:48
DeKalbInsideOut: 
What the hell is this "play nicely in the sandbox together" stuff?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:48 DeKalbInsideOut
4:49
Moderator: 
McMahan - reassure there will be stakeholder comment time.
Johnson - Thanks Morley and Carter for putting together this discussion. Will we be able to continue this in May? What do we need to do?
Morley - Board members need to review and make comments.

Mayfield and Coleman to provide SACS report.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:49 Moderator
4:49
[Comment From BillBill: ] 
'way too long' Amen.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:49 Bill
4:49
dcsw2: 
Was that one pager provided to any of us who would tune in today? Maybe I missed it.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:49 dcsw2
4:49
Nancy Jester: 
@dsw2 - True. @DIO - It's a response to SACS and the perception that what is wrong with the district/board is that the board wasn't nice enough to each other.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:49 Nancy Jester
4:50
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Personally, I liked it when you disagreed with Walker and Turk on TV. I expect nothing less from my board representation.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:50 DeKalbInsideOut
4:51
dcsw2: 
We will second that.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:51 dcsw2
4:52
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Ms Jester. Who makes policy ... Board or administration?
Monday April 1, 2013 4:52 DeKalbInsideOut
4:52
Nancy Jester: 
@dsw2 and DIO - Thank you! It's important to speak the truth! You can be nice but not sweep things under the rug. Unfortunately, that's what often happens.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:52 Nancy Jester
4:52
Moderator: 
SACS Report
Board training
Identify deliverables. Ask the right questions and map out parameters.
Assess policies.
Identify resources.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:52 Moderator
4:53
Nancy Jester: 
The Board is the policy making entity but in actuality the administration brings the policies to the board for adoption.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:53 Nancy Jester
4:54
Moderator: 
Mayfield - Need feedback. Mentions a meeting with Elgart.
Johnson - 6pm meeting - Open meeting with SACS - Mark Elgart
Monday April 1, 2013 4:54 Moderator
4:55
DeKalbInsideOut: 
We need video of that meeting with Elgart! DeKalb Spring!!
Monday April 1, 2013 4:55 DeKalbInsideOut
4:58
dcsw2: 
Unfortunately, it is obvious to anyone who can read that whistleblowers like you, Nancy, are punished, not protected. We will be reminding people of this when/if Gov. Deal and anyone else on the DeKalb Delegation decides to run for re-election or election to any other office. If there is anyone in the DeKalb Delegation who made a significant effort to protect you, Nancy, as a whistleblower, and act on what you brought up after hours of combing through budgets that are not at all transparent, then we need to see proof. Otherwise, all will be tarred with the same brush.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:58 dcsw2
4:59
Moderator: 
Ramona: DCSD has 2 meetings a week with SACS. There are two reports to SACS due. May 2nd - Institutional report due. April 22nd - data collection, April 26th - start first draft.
Mayfield: do we know what should be in there
Ramona: we have a framework. Need to reschedule around mid may when SACS can come back for a re-evaluation.
Monday April 1, 2013 4:59 Moderator
5:00
dcsw2: 
The issue is that no one else is going to be willing to stick their neck out like you did, Nancy.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:00 dcsw2
5:00
Moderator: 
System Accountability
Presented by Mayfield and Kemp

Kemp: We have lots of questions about what is being presented and how it's being presented. We are having a hard time getting our heads around what is being presented.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:00 Moderator
5:01
Moderator: 
Kemp: Can you give us more time to review the board packets?
Monday April 1, 2013 5:01 Moderator
5:01
dcsw2: 
Do you mean Campbell?
Monday April 1, 2013 5:01 dcsw2
5:02
Moderator: 
Campbell: Please help us to understand the budget.

Yes ... Cambell ... thanks.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:02 Moderator
5:06
Moderator: 
Campbell: We need help to understand what SPLOST is all about.
Mayfield: Need to identify low hanging fruit to help with our decision making. On the blue colored sheets, we need the relationship between the expense and quantitative impact. We need imperical information. We need to know how it quantitatively affects the students. Identify from the staff who does what. We would like this by the June meeting, but understand if that's not possible.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:06 Moderator
5:10
Moderator: 
Johnson: Thurmond, how will you communicate this to us?
Thurmond: We'll setup board protocol whether it's from the chair or from individuals. Usually from individuals ... right Mr Orson?
Johnson: We are trying to avoid the back and forth or over kill.
McMahan: Thank you. You guys are great. Thurmond, when can people see recorded videos of meetings.
Thurmond: We had a problem with posting the minutes in a timely fashion. We are now up to date. Within 48 hrs everything will be posted moving forward.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:10 Moderator
5:12
Moderator: 
my video is breaking
orson:What is turnaround time on those questions
Johnson: Thurmond, Let us know in the future what that might be. Thank you all board members for the presentations. It promotes the school district and helps move the district.

Motion to adjourn to executive session.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:12 Moderator
5:14
dcsw2: 
Note that Thurmond did not fully answer McMahan's question and McMahan did not follow up on it.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:14 dcsw2
5:17
[Comment From BillBill: ] 
Do they need an expert facilitator? Someone to ensure all questions are either: a. answered, b. documented for future answers, c. withdrawn, or d. noted as 'a comment, not a question'.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:17 Bill
5:21
Nancy Jester: 
@dsw2 - If a board member gets too "aggressive" in pursuing answers, SACS will tell them to stop asking questions.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:21 Nancy Jester
5:29
Nancy Jester: 
The live blog is still open but the board is in executive session.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:29 Nancy Jester
5:52
Nancy Jester: 
The new Public Comment time should start any minute.
Monday April 1, 2013 5:52 Nancy Jester
6:09
Nancy Jester: 
Public comment is about to start. Jim McMahan is reading the rules for comments.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:09 Nancy Jester
6:11
Nancy Jester: 
Do we think that DeKalb is a highly diverse system?
Monday April 1, 2013 6:11 Nancy Jester
6:12
Nancy Jester: 
Speaker is singing the praises of Henderson Middle School.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:12 Nancy Jester
6:16
[Comment From truthseekertruthseeker: ] 
No one in the school system really knows what diversity means.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:16 truthseeker
6:17
Nancy Jester: 
Jennifer Hatfield is talking about what "premier" should mean for DeKalb. She mentioned that it isn't "premier" to give regional superintendents cars. Urges the board to rethink.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:17 Nancy Jester
6:17
Nancy Jester: 
@truthseeker - I do wish people would look up the definition of that word.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:17 Nancy Jester
6:19
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
There are diverse schools within DeKalb, but DeKalb School System itself is not diverse.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:19 Paula Caldarella
6:20
Nancy Jester: 
@Paula - agreed. Some schools are diverse while the system as a whole is not, and most, not all, are also not diverse.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:20 Nancy Jester
6:23
Nancy Jester: 
Tom Keating is introducing himself to the new board members and explaining about this mission to improve the bathrooms in schools.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:23 Nancy Jester
6:23
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
It is those few diverse schools that really miss the Interpreters. Let's hope they are brought back in next year's budget.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:23 Paula Caldarella
6:24
Nancy Jester: 
Julie McKenna - a mom but does not have a calculator, so "don't worry". LOL!!
Monday April 1, 2013 6:24 Nancy Jester
6:25
Nancy Jester: 
Julie correctly saying that staff runs the board. But that's just the way SACS likes it.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:25 Nancy Jester
6:25
[Comment From truthseekertruthseeker: ] 
I would suspect that the budget will have more austerity. When money leaves services are of necessity compromised.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:25 truthseeker
6:26
DeKalbInsideOut: 
The degree in competence? It's going to be a long-hard learning curve if the board is starting from not knowing what QBE is.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:26 DeKalbInsideOut
6:28
[Comment From truthseekertruthseeker: ] 
Staff has always run the BOE. When the members step in to ask questions Dr. Elgart is there to slap their hands.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:28 truthseeker
6:29
Nancy Jester: 
@truthseeker - Well, you've been paying attention!
Monday April 1, 2013 6:29 Nancy Jester
6:29
Moderator: 
Dekalb County Wide Band Booster Speaking
We need instrument rotation
We need activity bus to get middle school students to participate at the high school
Calendar for when what school is supposed to get what
Monday April 1, 2013 6:29 Moderator
6:31
Nancy Jester: 
I understand how frustrating it is for parents regarding band uniforms, etc. but I do believe that this budget is going to be tough. We need to focus our money to the classroom and classroom teacher.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:31 Nancy Jester
6:32
Moderator: 
Speaking on behalf of Dekalb Educators
Thank you for terminating Bob Wilson on the board lawsuit.
We have a record number of teachers looking for jobs in other school systems.
Retention deals a lot with social security like the issue currently in court. DCSD promised they would give teachers a tax sheltered annuity.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:32 Moderator
6:33
Nancy Jester: 
David Schutten (ODE) is discussing the low morale of teachers. Discusses the TSA lawsuit situation.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:33 Nancy Jester
6:36
Moderator: 
Amy Trochi
PTA President
Responsibility and ethics speaches have gone on deaf ears.
Critical Tasks ahead
* please push the admins to answer questions completely.
* Need online org chart
* Stop saying we've lost 600 admin jobs
* Stop micromanaging teachers
* Stop the TMobile cell tower agreement
* SPLOST vote was not a blank check. It leads to shenanigans like new cars for administrators.
* Be publish a list of outside legal firms.
* Please understand the palace represent the divide between admins and the schoolhouse. When admins have to have a bake sale for toilet paper, you will know you've cut enough.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:36 Moderator
6:37
Nancy Jester: 
Great line Amy Trocci! When the Central Office has to sell cookies to buy copy paper, then we're at the right place!
Monday April 1, 2013 6:37 Nancy Jester
6:39
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
The car issue for Area Supers seems to be a hot-button.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:39 Paula Caldarella
6:39
Moderator: 
Speaker - Mother of SWDekalb student
Make your focus the children
Transparency - no more closed meetings
Superintendent Search - Please hire somebody qualified this time
Monday April 1, 2013 6:39 Moderator
6:40
Nancy Jester: 
@Paula - I understand why it's a hot button issue. It's sad that no one voted against it.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:40 Nancy Jester
6:42
Nancy Jester: 
Kirk Lunde is SO RIGHT! It's friends! That's a problem that is more difficult to root out. But it is a big problem.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:42 Nancy Jester
6:42
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
They believed the nonsense they were told that the cars were part of the SPLOST IV vote. Such deception!
Monday April 1, 2013 6:42 Paula Caldarella
6:43
Moderator: 
Speaker - Kirk Lunde
Parent of Tucker middle school student
* Salaries for administrators are out of alignment due to Friends and Family
* Org chart only list top two tiers. It needs to be complete.
* SACS ordered an internal auditor. There is none on the org chart.
* Thank you BOE.
* Do not let outside agencies say you can't question the Superintendent or the administration
* Hold vendors and employees accountable
Monday April 1, 2013 6:43 Moderator
6:45
[Comment From Just JanJust Jan: ] 
Why doesn't someone just tell them to think: WWND? What would Nancy do? Then that's how they should vote and ask questions.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:45 Just Jan
6:46
Moderator: 
Speaker - Stone Mountain President of something
Indiana student achievement institute put out a paper.
Thurmond talked about the diversity. If we are going to become number one, we must look at how our diverse cultures and religions are going to come into play. We need to close the achievement gap. Parents, students and teachers need to know their role. There needs to be accountability.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:46 Moderator
6:47
[Comment From Tim Darnell, Dunwoody PatchTim Darnell, Dunwoody Patch: ] 
Nancy, are you going to apply for reinstatement to the DeKalb Board of Education?
Monday April 1, 2013 6:47 Tim Darnell, Dunwoody Patch
6:47
Nancy Jester: 
Hello Patch! No, I am not going to apply for reinstatement.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:47 Nancy Jester
6:49
[Comment From Tim Darnell, Dunwoody PatchTim Darnell, Dunwoody Patch: ] 
What's your impression of John Coleman, who now represents the Dunwoody area on the DeKalb School Board?
Monday April 1, 2013 6:49 Tim Darnell, Dunwoody Patch
6:50
Nancy Jester: 
I don't know Mr. Coleman. I wish him well. I've heard him say that his knowledge about education and the district is limited and he is "here to learn".
Monday April 1, 2013 6:50 Nancy Jester
6:51
Nancy Jester: 
I hope that he learns from the right people and isn't manipulated.
Monday April 1, 2013 6:51 Nancy Jester
6:51
[Comment From Dunwoody SupermomDunwoody Supermom: ] 
True, Just Jan :-) Problem is...Nancy would be communicating with the community via email, phone conversations, her blog, etc., and SACS is against any communications with community members , as they'd rather the sole communication be thru whatever they say at Board meetings...seriously!?
Monday April 1, 2013 6:51 Dunwoody Supermom
7:00
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
Nice to see teachers standing up and not being afraid to speak out
Monday April 1, 2013 7:00 Quietly watching
7:02
Moderator: 
Speaker
Validated a plagarist. That's not acceptable.

Speaker - Teacher in DeKalb
Our students deserve more questions. BOE needs to be concerned. I would like to know how many miles these admins getting cars are driving. We're getting promethian board but teachers aren't getting COLA (cost of living adjustments).
Don't teach class size as just a budget item. It's a learning decision.
* Need more administrators visiting school houses. They are detached from reality.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:02 Moderator
7:05
Moderator: 
Speaker - Parent of Coralwood Children
* Cell towers - some neighborhoods got out. Our neighborhood school doesn't generally have kids from the neighborhood, so we didn't get the notifications. Zoning ordinances are there to protect people. Cell phone companies go to the school boards to get around these ordinances. Take the opportunity to void that contract.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:05 Moderator
7:05
Moderator: 
Johnson motions to move to the Business Meeting.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:05 Moderator
7:05
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
She's hired!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:05 Anonymous
7:05
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
Is the board sitting with the people making a statement.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:05 Quietly watching
7:06
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
Where are they going now.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:06 Quietly watching
7:10
[Comment From Kim GokceKim Gokce: ] 
Thank goodness they are off Olympus when facing the commenters!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:10 Kim Gokce
7:10
Moderator: 
Hi Kim!! Thanks for joining us. I'm not sure what happened to Tim at the Patch. Does anybody have questions for Nancy or Kim Gokce?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:10 Moderator
7:11
Kim Gokce: 
Sorry I joined so late - work thing gets in the way!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:11 Kim Gokce
7:12
Nancy Jester: 
Excuses, excuses, Kim! .... Thanks for blogging!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:12 Nancy Jester
7:12
Kim Gokce: 
:)
Monday April 1, 2013 7:12 Kim Gokce
7:12
Kim Gokce: 
0)
Monday April 1, 2013 7:12 Kim Gokce
7:12
Kim Gokce: 
o)
Monday April 1, 2013 7:12 Kim Gokce
7:12
Kim Gokce: 
no halo today! So, the lady near the end there had very cogent points to make!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:12 Kim Gokce
7:15
Nancy Jester: 
This is to everyone - what topics would you like to discuss on a "live blog"? We can hold these virtual meetings to discuss the topics you'd like.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:15 Nancy Jester
7:17
[Comment From AnonymousAnonymous: ] 
Budget....how does making one happen between 9 people
Monday April 1, 2013 7:17 Anonymous
7:18
Nancy Jester: 
That's a good question. The Budget is drafted and presented to the board by the administration. The board reviews it, asks questions and can make changes.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:18 Nancy Jester
7:19
dcsw2: 
Wait ... Nancy, we are just catching up with the Patch interview ... is it over? We have a question for you ourselves. Are you saying that Coleman's ignorance about schools in general and DeKalb County Schools specifically is his choice? He has never called you or otherwise made contact with you? One of our staff spoke with an extremely knowledgeable former educator who had applied to be appointed as the District 1 BOE member. He said that, if he was appointed, the first thing he would do would be to see if you would meet with him. Interestingly, this person also was/is a regular reader of DeKalb School Watch blog, but had not seen your blog. He said he was going to bring himself up-to-date with your blog, as well. How did we in District 1 miss out on someone who was so experienced and well-qualified? We are confused.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:19 dcsw2
7:20
Moderator: 
Patch dropped off. Not sure what happened to him. Ask away!!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:20 Moderator
7:22
Kim Gokce: 
So, the budget point came up first - it is interesting to me that budget is managed this way.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:22 Kim Gokce
7:23
Kim Gokce: 
I wonder if it is the "norm" for other school boards. I have served on boards where the budget is proposed by leadership and either accept or rejected whole-cloth.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:23 Kim Gokce
7:23
Kim Gokce: 
hands on hearts!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:23 Kim Gokce
7:25
Nancy Jester: 
Well, Mr. Coleman did send me an email recently. But we haven't met or talked. I too heard that a highly qualified educator and an attorney and professional mediator specializing in governmental boards were interviewed. I don't know what the criteria were for their choice.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:25 Nancy Jester
7:26
Kim Gokce: 
MLA = McKenna, Long, Aldridge?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:26 Kim Gokce
7:26
Nancy Jester: 
@Kim - yes that's what MLA stands for.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:26 Nancy Jester
7:27
Kim Gokce: 
so, it seems this group is being facilitated MLA every step of the way.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:27 Kim Gokce
7:28
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
stepney looks horrified
Monday April 1, 2013 7:28 Quietly watching
7:28
Kim Gokce: 
I thought eSIS provided all we needed for portal services? This custom development, if that is what it is, is very scary to me a software industry, scared veteran!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:28 Kim Gokce
7:29
Kim Gokce: 
"scarred" ... but scared works, too.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:29 Kim Gokce
7:30
Nancy Jester: 
I hear you, Kim. As you know, Mr. Jester is a software architect so he has all kinds of opinions about these things.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:30 Nancy Jester
7:32
Kim Gokce: 
Oh boy! A new web page theme! I sure hope there is more under the hood ...
Monday April 1, 2013 7:32 Kim Gokce
7:32
Nancy Jester: 
Kim, Hope is not a method.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:32 Nancy Jester
7:33
DeKalbInsideOut: 
What was the selection process for this oversight committee?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:33 DeKalbInsideOut
7:35
Nancy Jester: 
They had to submit a resume/application and go through an interview process with the staff. After that process, Dr. Atkinson selected them to serve on this committee. The board was not involved in this process.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:35 Nancy Jester
7:35
Kim Gokce: 
http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/splost-iv/oversight-committee/
Monday April 1, 2013 7:35 Kim Gokce
7:36
Kim Gokce: 
I know Ms. Avers to be a very dedicated and civically engaged resident of the CK cluster around Doraville in addition being a business-savvy person.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:36 Kim Gokce
7:36
Kim Gokce: 
I forgot she was appointed to this committee but was happy to see her name. Very sober person ... ok, sober-thinking :)
Monday April 1, 2013 7:36 Kim Gokce
7:39
[Comment From Just JanJust Jan: ] 
Remember the last SPLOST Oversight Committee? They met a couple of times and then just stopped meeting. Wonder how long it will be until this group fades away.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:39 Just Jan
7:39
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
It does not take all of these degrees to know that using SPLOSTS funds to buy area supers new for
Monday April 1, 2013 7:39 Quietly watching
7:39
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
Too much.....over kill
Monday April 1, 2013 7:39 Quietly watching
7:39
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
Just returned from dinner - who was the lady speaking with Ms. Stepney?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:39 Paula Caldarella
7:40
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Do we have faith in this oversight committee given the taint of Dr Atkinson picked them and that "Friends of Dekalb" thought up this committee just to get more votes for SPLOST .... http://dekalbschoolwatch.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/summary-of-orson_drake-communitynet2.pdf
Monday April 1, 2013 7:40 DeKalbInsideOut
7:43
Kim Gokce: 
I think that $600m+ is very much worth the oversight ... and I think the accounting gets very, very complicated. During the passed year or so they have still be approving funds to be moved around for Splost II and III for goodness sake.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:43 Kim Gokce
7:43
Kim Gokce: 
past year
Monday April 1, 2013 7:43 Kim Gokce
7:43
Should Work Session and Business meeting be on the same day?
Yes
 ( 14% )
No
 ( 57% )
Undecided
 ( 29% )

Monday April 1, 2013 7:43 
7:44
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
They sure dont like to talk...just vote yes yes and yea
Monday April 1, 2013 7:44 Quietly watching
7:45
DeKalbInsideOut: 
I don't like them presenting then voting on the same day. Where is the follow up on questions. What about getting community feedback?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:45 DeKalbInsideOut
7:46
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Kim, I agree with you, but look at the birth and original intentions of the committee.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:46 DeKalbInsideOut
7:47
Kim Gokce: 
Well, I have tried to go back and find any significant, coherent data about SPLOST I-III and have come up with very little so ... I give the predecessors no credit.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:47 Kim Gokce
7:47
Kim Gokce: 
What I have found is pixelated, temporal, and by no means comprehensive and final.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:47 Kim Gokce
7:48
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Is Thurmond the Interim Superintendent or Permanent Superintendent?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:48 DeKalbInsideOut
7:48
Kim Gokce: 
Can anyone ANYWHERE answer what would be the first question in my office about capital planning? Here's the question I will kept asking until I get a credible answer:
Monday April 1, 2013 7:48 Kim Gokce
7:49
Kim Gokce: 
What is the total capital expenditure allocated and spent or planned to spend by high school cluster attendance area over SPLOST 1-IV? This is fundamental for governance.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:49 Kim Gokce
7:50
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
Why does Thurmond need an extension to give his plan...for $300 k that plan should be available yesterday.....of course they don't want to discuss anything
Monday April 1, 2013 7:50 Quietly watching
7:50
Kim Gokce: 
Or by school house/property?
Monday April 1, 2013 7:50 Kim Gokce
7:50
Kim Gokce: 
31st? :)
Monday April 1, 2013 7:50 Kim Gokce
7:55
Will it do any good to edit Board Policy GAG to say that hires must be based on merit and not Friends and Family.
Yes
 ( 38% )
No
 ( 63% )
Undecided
 ( 0% )

Monday April 1, 2013 7:55 
7:55
Kim Gokce: 
This is so elementary, yes, they should be explicit about prohibition.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:55 Kim Gokce
7:56
Kim Gokce: 
I can quote some former board members who cite the "law" or "policy" as not being broken in some pretty egregious cases so I'm good with this for sure!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:56 Kim Gokce
7:57
Do you think that the DeKalb BOE will approve a charter cluster for Druid Hills, Lakeside or Dunwoody?
Yes
 ( 13% )
No
 ( 50% )
Undecided
 ( 38% )

Monday April 1, 2013 7:57 
7:58
Kim Gokce: 
"perception" of a conflict of interest is very good standard!
Monday April 1, 2013 7:58 Kim Gokce
7:59
[Comment From DeKalb MomDeKalb Mom: ] 
Man, I hope this nepotism, friends and family policy takes hold.
Monday April 1, 2013 7:59 DeKalb Mom
8:00
DeKalbInsideOut: 
I haven't seen ANY changes at the palace to date. I don't see why Friends and Family will change either. Don't forget, Mayfield was appointed to this new board and is the King of Friends and Family second only to the Queen, Frances Edwards.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:00 DeKalbInsideOut
8:01
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
They are only forecasting a 7 to 10% staff leaving?
Monday April 1, 2013 8:01 Quietly watching
8:01
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
Sounds like an excellent policy - if it is actually enforced.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:01 Paula Caldarella
8:01
Kim Gokce: 
I was at a few forums where Mr. Thurmond addressed this point and I think he has it pretty clearly articulated. Hiring your nephew is not a problem, hiring your nephew who isn't qualified or not best candidate is nepotism. It has to be stamped out - again, elementary.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:01 Kim Gokce
8:02
Kim Gokce: 
My hope (sorry Nancy! -haha) is that Mr. Thurmond's background in labor management/industry will become very valuable to DeKalb during his tenure.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:02 Kim Gokce
8:03
DeKalbInsideOut: 
Atkinson said the same thing. Proof is in the pudding.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:03 DeKalbInsideOut
8:03
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
Melvin needs to practice
Monday April 1, 2013 8:03 Quietly watching
8:03
Kim Gokce: 
Yes, but she / they didn't change the policy, right?
Monday April 1, 2013 8:03 Kim Gokce
8:03
Kim Gokce: 
I also heard Mr. Thurmond comment at a forum about firing in a very interesting way.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:03 Kim Gokce
8:04
DeKalbInsideOut: 
They can change the agenda as much as they want. I think it's a dog and pony show to pretend they're doing something about it. It does say they hear what the public is saying about it.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:04 DeKalbInsideOut
8:05
Kim Gokce: 
Well, talk is cheap but this is a by-laws change and a overdue one, I think.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:05 Kim Gokce
8:06
Kim Gokce: 
Not seeing it here: http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/board-of-education
Monday April 1, 2013 8:06 Kim Gokce
8:07
DeKalbInsideOut: 
* Thurmond said 600 admin jobs cut, but won't give us a list
Monday April 1, 2013 8:07 DeKalbInsideOut
8:07
DeKalbInsideOut: 
* We don't have an org chart
Monday April 1, 2013 8:07 DeKalbInsideOut
8:07
DeKalbInsideOut: 
etc ....
Monday April 1, 2013 8:07 DeKalbInsideOut
8:07
[Comment From Paula CaldarellaPaula Caldarella: ] 
There weren't 600 jobs cut. Someone's tall tale!
Monday April 1, 2013 8:07 Paula Caldarella
8:11
[Comment From Quietly watchingQuietly watching: ] 
They sure dont like to talk.....uninteresting to say the least
Monday April 1, 2013 8:11 Quietly watching
8:11
[Comment From DeKalb MomDeKalb Mom: ] 
Was there a vote on the calendar?
Monday April 1, 2013 8:11 DeKalb Mom
8:11
Moderator: 
Reminder - 6pm Open Public meeting with Elgart on Wednesday.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:11 Moderator
8:13
Moderator: 
Calendar - I currently don't see the calendar listed on the Business Meeting agenda. They talked about it during the session this afternoon. I don't remember it coming up at the board meeting.
Monday April 1, 2013 8:13 Moderator
8:13
Nancy Jester: 
Thanks everyone for blogging tonight!
Monday April 1, 2013 8:13 Nancy Jester
8:14
Kim Gokce: 
Thanks for the forum!
Monday April 1, 2013 8:14 Kim Gokce
8:14
Moderator: 
I'll post the polls and the comments like I did last time. Thanks Kim!!!!
Monday April 1, 2013 8:14 Moderator
8:15